On the basis of the inventory of the existing biobanks and the needs of translational biomedical research, and within the thematic areas 5 disease-oriented, multidisciplinary Focus Biobanks with proven excellence were set up in order to develop knowledge and promote translational biomedical research in areas where Flanders has a strong research base.
These collections include:
- Sudden cardiac death (coordinated by CRC Antwerpen)
- Hepatotropic pathogens (coordinated by UZ Gent)
- Diabetes (coordinated by UZ Brussel)
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (coordinated by UZ Leuven)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (coordinated by U Hasselt)
The Focus Biobanks within the the Flemish Biobank Initiative have designed project plans through which high-quality historical and prospective samples and data (phenotypes) are being included in the Flemish Biobank in local LIMS systems and uploaded to the central catalogue based upon a limited set of minimal data (MDS) identifying samples in the overall database.